Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Y.A.F.G.B.A.

Yet Another Fixed Gear Bandwagon Article.

This isn't particularly fascinating, considering that "this single speed/fixed gear thing is really catching on" and "my-day-on-a-fixed-gear" columns are so frickin' commonplace these days, that I don't even bother to link them anymore...

But, once upon a time, after my first couple months messing, I stripped down an old Torpado and flipped and chopped the bars back in Boston...so for days gone by, I'll link another one from the Boston Globe.

Summary: Newbie gets a "Boston" Langster, gets the local messengers to weigh in on it, finds himself irresistible to the ladies (one lady, at least), gets the nerve to flip it to fixed, gets passed by pregnant joggers and old people walking, impresses a local hipster. Yawn.

Not very remarkable, but a lot of references to the "messenger tribe" - man is that getting old (ok, I've used it myself, plenty, but I think I'll stop now). But the messenger reviews are always interesting. They don't like the drop bars, as "risers have been popular in Boston since the 90's"...they don't think the carbon fork/seat post will be strong enough...they think aluminum is too fragile and steel is more appropriate for the rough stuff.

I always take it with a grain of salt when someone gets "the messengers' opinions" on something, because 10 guys will have 10 opinions. Like I've said before, the options are endless...when I was there, and I'm sure it's still true: there's messing in Boston with drops, flats, risers, fixed, free, brakes, brakeless, steel, aluminum, carbon...if I learned one thing there, it was that everybody had their own favorite, and lots of people switched it up just for kicks. Half the fun is just mixing it up.

Back to your day jobs, not much to see here. I think I may officially swear off these articles. Besides, my geared bike should be here in three days, perhaps in time to ride the Monsters of the Midway :)

No comments: