Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ain't nobody dope like me, I'm dressed so fresh, so clean

Slow ss/fg/mess news day, so I dug this up from the framebuilder's mailing list. Alex Meade set out to create the most maintenance-free bike possible:



Scavenging key parts from a "chainless" or shaft-drive bike, he got the drive/chainstay from a Taiwanese supplier, and being a framebuilder with loads of time and patience, ended up machining, brazing, cutting, or otherwise constructing the bike to fit the part. It's a 7-speed, so technically it doesn't belong 'round here, but it's so sleek (overlooking the commuter topend), so I'll make an exception. It looks like a single speed, and it would make a damn clean bike if you got rid of those pesky cables and brakes. If it could be built as a fixed gear, I might even suspend my front brake fanaticism, just to be able to ride the simplest bike ever.

Doubt I'll ever run across one though, since it was a serious pain to construct, and this is coming from a guy with a framebuilding jig, a lathe, and access to the engineer that designed the shaft. You can read some details from the thread of the framebuilder's list or better yet, go straight to the pictures.

No comments: