Wednesday, June 30, 2010

batting .750

I'm starting to find social media a little vainglorious, but I started this thing, and come this far, so I may as well celebrate on my little corner of the Internet: Last night in Kenosha, I won three straight races! Yeah, it's only an upgrade to cat 4, but I wasn't sandbagging, I promise! I asked about it last week and they said...we'll see.

Cat 5 500 M chariot: Pole spot, Al Urbanski as my holder, giving me advice. Wire to wire out front. This is not an event I ever expect to win in higher categories.

Masters' 4/5 Points race: A couple of stupid attacks, then a couple of better-timed attacks to get 2-3 of us on a break. I was tied with the stronger of two breakmates on points, and with under 3 to go, he finished his pull and I attacked, and stayed away for the win.

Cat 5 Points race: Kind of the same story. Two of us escaped, traded pulls, fairly even on points, so I took top points once and for good measure, escaped with a couple to go to take the final batch.

They called me over the loudspeaker to the table, and the field went "ooooo" like I was called to the Principal's office. I thought, uh was I a little squirelly in the sprinter's lane or something? but no, they informed me I'd just done my last race as a cat 5. First time I've been upgraded like that. Finished the night getting 3rd in the 4/5 scratch, and spent my winnings on a Washington Park Velodrome T-shirt and a cheeseburger. Good times in Wisco.

No comments: