Sunday, August 17, 2008

spend it if you got it

...isn't a great policy for winning races, especially if you don't have a whole lot to spare.

Downer's Grove Cat 5, Heat two

Got into top five after a couple and mostly stayed there. Seemed to be able to attack at will on the hill and the s/f, feeling it out. Not a lot of cornering skills on display in my heat, but nothing too sketchy as the course was plenty wide.

No major splits but the field seemed to be snapping back a little less each time. With three to go, one kid talked of making a break, but it turned out he was all talk. Four of us had a bit of a gap after the turn four climb, but only two of us put anything into it. I poured it on and tried to keep it on, but didn't get much help, at least not when it could've counted.

When I saw that no one was really up for it, I backed off and tried to recover, but the bell lap set everyone off, and I got a little swarmed. I should've taken my chances in the bunch sprint, as most everyone faded with 50 to go. 13th. whatever. I don't think of myself as a sprinter, but then I see how the other Cat 5s finish and realize that I should just go for it.

To add to my frustration, I wasn't allowed to sign up for heat three, as they were "trying to give everyone a chance to race." Turns out both heats were only 2/3rds full, but they still wouldn't let me jump in. grrr. I realize that's what pre-registration is for, but there were 17 open spots in heat three!

No comments: