Tuesday, July 29, 2008

this week's highlights...

...do not involve racing. I knew months ago I'd have to miss the Chicago Crit, and though I was able to see a few minutes of it in the morning, I almost wished I hadn't. It was painful to see such a gorgeous course, even worse to see the top 5 Cat 5 spots filled with a few names that I'd topped before. Enough about that. The news:

Until recently, the little man, much to my consternation, has nearly refused to ride a bike. Last week, he woke up on his 6th birthday, asked to ride his no-training wheel bike, nailed it in 3 minutes, and preceded to start ripping like he's been at it for months. He now wants to do bar spins, truck drivers, and feeble grinds. I need to find him a mentor, as I can do none of those things, except in video games.

The other news is that his big sister is now a bicycle commuter. She's in Girls Rock Camp, and it happens to be on my way to work. She rides 5 miles each way, most of it in the bike lane on Clark. I guess sketchy riders at the track won't scare her much after this.

Hopefully I'll have some actual results to post after Elk Grove or the State Road Championships. I have three more starts to get out of the 5s: I suspect my "antics" in a bulls jersey/single speed have not earned me any leeway, and I'm being held to the letter of the law regarding my upgrade.

No comments: